WHAT IS PERSONAL INFORMATION?
The term “Personal Information” refers to any information that can be used to identify you as an individual or is about you as an individual. It can include, among other things, your name, address, age, gender and personal financial history.
HOW IS PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED?
While in the process of browsing our website, you also provide us with information that does not reveal your personal identity—what type of product you're seeking information about, for example. We use this aggregated, anonymous data mainly for website improvements, but we do not connect it to any Personal Information, such as your name or address.
While you explore our website for the information that interests you, you may wish to put in a specific “Information Request” about one of our categories or products, or you may wish to participate in one of our online surveys or promotions. To respond to this request or to participate in our various programs, we may ask you for Personal Information, such as your name, zip code, email address and phone number.
If you wish, you may also submit your email address in order to be placed on a subscription list or to receive other information. You will be placed on these lists only when you indicate your desire to be included. In deciding whether or not to join such lists, please note that they are only used for internal purposes; we do not sell or rent our lists to anyone. In the event you choose to join one of our lists, you may ask to be removed from the list at any time as it is our desire to allow each visitor to have the ability to accept or decline any form of communication from us.
HOW DO WE STORE INFORMATION?
We regularly obtain and store information in both digital and physical form. In order to better facilitate the security for Personal Information, we endeavor to store Personal Information in a secure location, be it a database or filing cabinet. Furthermore, we take steps to limit and control access to this information.
Primarily, the information stored on our customer database systems includes what is needed in order to facilitate the provision of our services and to improve the efficiency of your visit. Customer name, address, phone numbers and credit card number are recorded and made available as needed when you complete a transaction.
It is important to note that there is always risk associated with disclosing any information and in particular with regard to method of disclosure used. For example, email communication cannot be guaranteed as secure, so there is a risk inherent in the use of email. Please be aware of this when requesting information or sending forms to us by email (for example, from the “Contact Us” section of our website). We recommend that you do not include any confidential information (e.g., credit card information) when using email. For your protection, our email responses to you will not include any confidential information.
Finally, we cannot and do not warrant the operation of the reservation website and/or matters relating to its security as it is not our site nor does it, to the maximum extent permitted by law, warrant or guarantee privacy. To be prudent, please be sure to always close your browsers when you are done using the reservation site. Although the session will terminate after a short period of inactivity, it is best to close your browsers immediately upon completion as it can be easier for someone to attempt to get access to your profile and Personal Information while you are logged on.
WHY IS PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTED?
- To Provide Superior Customer Service. Personal Information is collected to (i) assist us with making your purchase, by accommodating billing, and by knowing which services to provide in order to facilitate meeting your needs while you are visiting our website and (ii) allow us to contact you in relation to matters that may have arisen during your online visit with us. Furthermore, by keeping certain Personal Information on file, such as information regarding customer history and itemized spending, former customers of ours have the ability to confirm prior transactions and reconcile statements or invoices.
- To Keep Our Customers Informed. We may also use Personal Information to advise you of promotions or to inform you of offers or other information that may be of interest to you. In order to do this, your information may be shared with a third party, including a customer relationship management company and/or a marketing and communications company. These companies are typically under contract with or obligation to us and understand that customer information should never be sold, rented, exchanged or in any way transferred without consent. If you would prefer not to receive marketing information directly from us, you may advise our resort directly or send an email to: email@example.com
- For Marketing Research. We occasionally combine information from a number of customers to better understand trends and expectations of our customers. Where this occurs, personal identifiers are typically removed so that the aggregate information cannot be linked to specific guests. This information is then used by us to study, understand and operate our business.
HOW DO I ACCESS MY PERSONAL INFORMATION?
We understand that you may like to know what Personal Information we hold about you, and we welcome facilitating your request whenever appropriate to do so. To protect your Personal Information, however, we require that you prove your identity to us at the time your request is made.
When you make a request in person, we will require you to produce some form of valid and reliable photo identification such as a passport or a driver’s license and you will be asked to sign a request form.
Where you make a request by other means, we require the request be made in writing via facsimile or letter including a copy of a government issued identification and signature. We also may require other appropriate confirming information such as your home and business addresses and/or telephone numbers so that we can verify such submitted information with what is in our files to satisfy us as to your identity.
The above information is required to create an audit trail of how the request has been handled. Where a request is made, any correspondence or application may be kept and added to your Personal Information.
We reserve the right to decline access to your Personal Information under certain circumstances. When your Personal Information will not be disclosed, you will be provided with the reasons for this nondisclosure.
HOW DO I REVISE MY PERSONAL INFORMATION?
If at any time you wish to update your Personal Information, you can do so by contacting Customer Service:
- via email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- via letter: PeterMillar.com, 4300 Emperor Blvd., Suite 100 Durham, NC 27703 Attn: Customer Service
In all instances it will be your responsibility to maintain the accuracy and currency of your Personal Information with us. We will only make changes requested by you to your Personal Information in those instances when we have received an appropriate written request from you. That written request must also include adequate and appropriate proof of your identity.
FOR HOW LONG IS MY PERSONAL INFORMATION RETAINED?
Information generally, including Personal Information, will be retained for the period of time required to fulfill our business purpose and comply with applicable law and record retention requirements. This may mean that it will be stored indefinitely or for as long as there is a business purpose for doing so. Notwithstanding, we may delete information, including your Personal Information, from time to time as we deem appropriate.
CHANGES TO, AND USES OUTSIDE OF, THIS POLICY?
WHAT LAWS APPLY TO THIS POLICY?
We do business in North Carolina and worldwide, servicing customers, visitors and others wherever we do business. As such, the laws of the United States of America (U.S.) and the State of North Carolina apply as do the laws of other jurisdictions provided appropriate nexus exists between you, us and such other location. If you have additional questions regarding the law or if you feel we have not treated your Personal Information appropriately, please contact our Chief Privacy Officer as provided below and share the details of your concern. For additional information about applicable U.S. federal law, you may contact the Federal Trade Commission through its website at www.ftc.gov.
TO WHOM DO I DIRECT QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS REGARDING THIS POLICY?
- via email: email@example.com
- via letter: PeterMillar.com,1002 Twin Creeks Court, Durham, NC 27703 Attn: Customer Service